Wednesday 4 January 2017

No good deed goes unpunished

   ...💘My Beloved Main Man, and rock of over twenty eight years is an enigma: A big hearted, hugely intelligent -my very own offline Phd Google, artistic, sharp witted, loving Papa and friend.  He is also a huge cynic, affectionately known by those close to him as 'Stoffles' (honey badger-check it out on youtube), has a touch of the darkness about him and a presence - even though he is not a big man - that can sometimes make people feel uneasy. After all our years together, he still has the ability to totally shock and surprise me by his thoughts and actions, possibly because of these contradictory facets of his character?  Who knows.  It certainly keeps our relationship fizzing!!!!!😊

   I say this because his sometimes negative world-weary view is often a source of disagreement and lively discussion over our morning coffee in bed - one way to wake up before the caffeine kicks in I suppose!  Usually when I am striving to see balance between the good/evil in us as fallible humans and the wider world, he will stoically dunk his ginger nuts (not a euphemism!) and say "I told you before and i'll tell you again: No good deed goes unpunished".  He delivers this epithet often with a wry smile of acceptance and a Gallic shrug, which never fails to irritate me and invite comment. Even though he maintains this harsh view, I have to note that he is always there to offer help and assistance to anyone, be it family, friend, stranger. Never seeking affirmation or thanks, ego firmly taking a back seat. A man of many facets.

   My actions towards our fellow travellers through life are the same, even though my responses are opposite and I am all raw, on the surface emotion driven; laughing, crying, high, low, calm, hysteria!, we seem to ultimately provide balance for each other.  Not an easy ride, always sparks flying, but never dull, never short of stuff to work through.  A short lesson and example of enduring love without sacrificing the individual -  indeed celebrating what is different between us.....It's so worth it - to quote a line in The English Patient; "The heart is an organ of fire"💘
   PS: I am thinking I want this picture below as my day job :-↓

No comments: